The Ridgeway Primary Academy curriculum is based on knowledge, skills and experiences. It has been carefully designed to be real, relevant and rich.
Everything we do is underpinned by the following curriculum drivers:
We will strive to ensure that every child knows their own self-worth and believes they can achieve. Our curriculum supports children to understand their own strengths and character so that they become confident, resilient, lifelong learners.
Children will learn about the rights and responsibilities of themselves and others, learning to respect and appreciate everyone’s place in the local community and the wider world.
Our curriculum empowers children to ‘dream big’ by providing opportunities and experiences which inspire them to believe in the possibilities here and beyond.
1. Our curriculum design is based on evidence from cognitive science; three main principles underpin it:
Learning is most effective with spaced repetition.
Interleaving helps pupils to discriminate between themes and aids long-term retention.
Retrieval of previously learned content is frequent and regular, which increases both storage and retrieval strength.
2. Our content is subject specific. We make intra-curricular links to strengthen schema where appropriate.
3. Continuous provision, in the form of daily routines, replaces the teaching of some aspects of the curriculum and, in other cases, provides retrieval practice for previously learned content.
4. Teachers provide regular opportunities for pupils to reflect on their learning and to take pride in all they do.
5. We use teacher assessment across the curriculum to look at the practices taking place to determine whether they are appropriate, related to our goals and likely to produce results in the long run.
6. We use lesson observations to see if the pedagogical style matches our long-term expectations and goals..