Design and Technology
Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
- Ensure that children will develop imaginative thinking and will learn to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making
- Encourage pupils to select appropriate tools and techniques for making a product, whilst following safe procedures
- Further children's enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making
- Ensure pupils understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook
- Children will develop their knowledge, skills and understanding of process of designing and making through completing a variety of different projects, using a range of tools and equipment, including those involved in cooking
- We ensure that the act of investigating and making something includes exploring and developing ideas, and evaluating and developing work
Design and Technology gives children the opportunity to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding of designing and making functional products. At Ridgeway, we feel it is important to nurture creativity and innovation through design. As young designers, engineers and chefs, children will develop skills and attributes they can use beyond school and take into the workplace.